If your travel plans suddenly change, Lufthansa gives you the freedom to cancel your trip up to 24 hours before it is scheduled to depart. There won’t be any cancellation costs assessed if your ticket is completely refundable, like the Business Flex option. Contrarily, adherence to the Lufthansa flight cancellation policy implies that cancellations are typically not permitted for tickets that are non-refundable.
However, there are some circumstances in which even non-refundable tickets can qualify for a full refund, i.e., that the cancellation of such a ticket would result in a full refund. The following details the particular requirements governing eligibility for a full refund:
- For flights leaving seven days or later in the future, cancellations made within 24 hours of booking are eligible for a full refund. To all fare categories, this clause is uniformly applicable.
- Travellers are entitled to a full reimbursement in cases where Lufthansa cancels flights on its own initiative.
- In certain situations, timetable changes are justification for a full refund:
- Delays of more than two hours brought on by issues that arise more than a day before departure.
- Delays longer than five hours when abnormalities occur on the day of departure.
- Refunds are automatically permitted for refundable tickets in the event of cancellation.
- Although this clause ceases to be in effect on June 1, 2022, it still applies to flights or other journeys that were impacted by COVID-19.
- Passengers are entitled to a complete refund if they are denied boarding despite having confirmed reservations.
- Flight cancellations brought on by unusual events that prevent a customer from boarding, including a death or serious sickness, may be eligible for a full reimbursement. Such claims, however, call for official documentation and Lufthansa’s endorsement.
- It is crucial to be aware that the Lufthansa flight ticket cancellation policy says that, subject to the fare restrictions specified in your ticket, all other circumstances result in a cancellation fee.
Lufthansa 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
A thorough 24-hour cancellation policy offered by Lufthansa Airlines makes it easy to cancel your flight and entitles you to a full return in the following situations:
- Should you decide to cancel within 24 hours of the purchase date.
- In the event that your flight’s departure date is planned to be at least seven days away.
- The 24-hour cancellation policy of Lufthansa continues to be valid for all ticket types, even those marked as non-refundable rates. It is crucial to keep in mind that compliance with each of the aforementioned requirements is necessary to qualify for a refund. In order to do this, you must cancel your flight within the first 24 hours after making your reservation and have your departure date set at least 7 days in advance. If either of these requirements is not met, a full refund might not be possible.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy for COVID
Passengers whose flights were cancelled due to COVID-19 are eligible to receive a full refund, in accordance with the Lufthansa cancellation policy created in reaction to the effects of the coronavirus epidemic. Anyone who has’t started a refund request yet can do so by clicking the linked link.
You should be aware that the exceptional goodwill measures Lufthansa implemented during the COVID-19 era, which extended some advantages, ceased to be in force on June 1, 2022. The normal fare conditions, including the customary Lufthansa cancellation policy, have been reinstated as a result.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Due to Death or Serious Illness
In accordance with the terms of the Lufthansa cancellation policy, you have the choice to change your travel date to a time when you can resume your journey if unavoidable events like a sudden illness or the tragic death of a close family member prevent you from boarding a flight. It’s important to remember, though, that in these situations, a full cancellation of the reservation could not be allowed.
Lufthansa Cancellations—Other Conditions
In accordance with the airline’s established protocol for cancelled flights:
- With Lufthansa, you have the choice of starting a cancellation via the phone, online, or in person at a specific ticket office.
- Regardless of whether you purchased your ticket via a travel agency or another online source, Lufthansa Airlines offers the ease of online flight cancellations through their website.
- You must cancel your Lufthansa Airlines flight within the window of time given by the airline’s policy in order to be eligible for a refund.
- The method requires the submission of an online refund request if Lufthansa has decided to cancel your flight and you want to get a refund. However, if you purchased your ticket from a third party, getting in touch with them directly is necessary to start the refund process.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
Depending on your chosen travel class, the cancellation fees range from USD 300 to USD 750 per passenger for flights departing from the United States.
1) For cancellations in Economy Class
- There are no refunds for Economy Saver and Economy Basic fares.
- The cancellation charge for Economy Basic Plus I fares is $300 USD.
- Economy Flex II tickets are refundable with no cancellation fees.
2) Regarding cancellations in Premium Economy
- No changes can be made to Premium Economy Basic fares.
- The cancellation cost for reimbursements on Premium Economy Basic Plus II fares is 500 USD.
- Premium Economy Flex rates are subject to free cancellation and refund requests.
3) In the grouping “Business Class”
- The Business Basic fare cannot be cancelled.
- The cancellation of Business Basic Plus II airfare results in a 500 USD refund cost.
- Business Flex tickets may be cancelled without incurring a processing fee for refunds.
4) For cancellations in First Class
- Cancellations are not permitted for First Basic fares.
- The cancellation charge for First Basic Plus airfare is $500.
- The cancellation charge for First Basic Plus II fares is USD 750.
- First Flex tickets can be cancelled for a full refund at no cost.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Non-Refundable Tickets
Whether you cancel within the first 24 hours of booking or later, the cost of cancelling non-refundable tickets with Lufthansa depends on when you do it.
1) For cancellations made within the first 24 hours of ticket purchase:
- If you decide to cancel a non-refundable ticket during the first 24 hours of its purchase, no cancellation fee will be charged.
- This fee waiver is only valid if your flight’s departure is more than seven days away from the date of booking.
2) In the event of cancellations beyond the initial 24-hour timeframe:
- After the aforementioned risk-free time has gone, you will forfeit a sizeable amount of your fee if you choose to cancel a non-refundable ticket.
- Government taxes are an exception to this forfeiture, though, and they will be kept regardless of the cancellation, it’s crucial to understand.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Secure Your Fare Options
A single, fixed price of EUR 30 (about USD 39) will be charged if you use the “Secure Your Fare” option when buying a flight and don’t do anything else within 48 hours. It’s important to note that this price does not change based on the number of passengers in your booking.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets
You will be charged a cancellation fee of about USD 60 or EUR 50 if you choose to revoke an award ticket.
How to Cancel Lufthansa Flight Booking
There are several options available t you for cancelling your Lufthansa airline reservation. These possibilities include calling the designated number (+1-844-933-2065) to cancel, using the web platform, going to a real ticket office, or hiring a travel agent to help with the cancellation procedure. In order to provide convenience and accessibility for passengers looking to change their travel plans, the airline offers these various methods.
Online Cancellation Process
You may easily manage changes to your Lufthansa flight reservations online up to 24 hours before your intended departure. Here is detailed advice on how to proceed:
Step 1: Start the cancellation process for a Lufthansa flight-
- Visit the official Lufthansa website at Lufthansa.com.
- Find and select the “My Bookings” tab in the lower-left corner of your screen.
- Enter the necessary information:
- Your name, please
- your final name
- Your reservation code
- When you click the “Find Bookings” option, a list of all of your reservations will be generated, indicating those that are eligible for refunds.
- Click the “Cancellation” option after selecting the specific reservation you want to cancel.
- Confirm your decision to cancel.
Step 2: Utilize the Mobile App-
You can also cancel your Lufthansa flight(s) straight through the airline’s mobile app for increased convenience.
Following a successful cancellation of your flight reservation with Lufthansa, the following should happen:
- You will receive a confirmation email from Lufthansa confirming your cancellation.
- Upon your request, your flight reservation will be quickly cancelled.
- The refundable amount will be automatically reimbursed to the credit card or bank account you used to purchase the tickets. Lufthansa efficiently facilitates this process.
- With this simplified process, handling cancellations and subsequent refunds for your Lufthansa flights is made easy to use and transparent.
Lufthansa Refund Policy
In accordance with Lufthansa’s return policy, the following situations qualify you for a full refund:
- If you decide to cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking it and the departure date is at least 7 days away.
- Whenever Lufthansa decides to cancel your flight on its own.
- If there are delays of more than 2 hours caused by an irregularity that occurs at least one day before to departure or delays of more than 5 hours caused by an irregularity on the day of your planned flight, according to Lufthansa.
- If you have a refundable ticket, you can cancel your reservation before you leave and get a refund.
- situations in which your flight has been cancelled by Lufthansa because of COVID-19.
- A full refund is due if you had a confirmed reservation but were denied boarding.
- The untimely death of a close family member or other circumstances that prevent you from making it to your flight may provide corroborating proof.
Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Numbers
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation USA : +1-888-814-2373 (toll-free, open 24/7)
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Canada : +1-844-933-2065 (toll-free, open 24/7)
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Germany : +49 (0) 69 86 799 799
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation U.K. : +1-888-814-2373
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Australia : +61 1300 655 727
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation India : 1800 102 5838
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation South Africa : 0861 842538
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Jamaica : +1 800 – 581 64 00
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Singapore : +65 6 2455 600
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation UAE : +971 600595556
- Miles & More Service Center, USA : +1-800-581-6400 (8:00am to 10:30pm, all days)
- Twitter : @Lufthansa_USA
- Lufthansa Customer Service (U.S.) : +1 800-645-3880
Q1 What is Lufthansa’s 24-hour risk-free cancellation policy?
If you purchase your ticket at least 7 days prior to the scheduled departure of your flight and cancel it within 24 hours of that departure, Lufthansa’s 24-hour cancellation policy allows you to do so without incurring any fees. This holds true for all ticket kinds, even those that are non-refundable.
Q2 Can I cancel my Lufthansa booking?
Yes, you have up to 24 hours before your journey to cancel your Lufthansa reservation. However, the amount of the refund and the cancellation fees will vary depending on the type of ticket you bought and how early or late you cancel your travel.
Q3 Does Lufthansa allow you to cancel non-refundable tickets?
Unless one of the following circumstances occurs, Lufthansa will not permit you to cancel a non-refundable ticket:
1) You cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking and your flight is at least 7 days away.
2) If Lufthansa cancels your flight, the replacement flight is inconvenient for you.
3) Because of a passenger’s or immediate family member’s death, a serious illness, jury duty, etc. (subject to documentary evidence and Lufthansa’s agreement);
4) If an irregularity occurs the day before departure, causing your flight to be delayed by more than 2 hours.
5) If an irregularity occurs the day of departure, causing your flight to be delayed by more than 5 hours.
Q4 How do I cancel my Lufthansa flight booking?
You can change or cancel your flight reservation with Lufthansa by phone, online, through the mobile app, or in person at a ticket office.
To change your reservations with Lufthansa online:
1) Select View and Manage Flight from the drop-down menu (the ‘Booking Code’ page will automatically open; however, you can also manage your flight using your ‘Lufthansa iD’ and ‘Miles & More’ accounts).
2) Choose the flight you want to change or cancel.
3) Cancel your flight by following the on-screen instructions.